Sunday 17 November 2013

Sugar Skull

Sugar Skull Love

Thought I would post about something different for a change, not so blood covered and disgusting! 
A 'Sugar Skull' is a decorated skull they use that comes from Mexico in relation to the 'Day of the Dead'. These designs are quite popular in tattoos, on halloween etc. 
I have attempted a sugar skull twice on my model, (my little sister who has been bribed to be my model when needed), and done them both very differently. 
The first photos are a more 'pretty' sugar skull, using glitters and gems.
All you need to do is paint the whole face white firstly, then draw out your basic skeleton design. Nose, teeth, hollow cheeks and circles around the eye area. I wanted to do the eyes with a colour instead of black which skulls are usually done with. I added the gold glitter on the eye lid to add a bit of contrast with the purple. I drew the nose design out with an eyeliner and then filled it in with a face paint. This part can be quite tricky getting a symmetrical shape!
Once i had blanked out the lips I painted in some teeth extending out to the cheekbones.
Now its time to decorate :) I usually copy a picture or use a few different designs from different pictures or you could just let your imagination run away with you.
I chose mostly pinks and purples to make this one look more girly and petty. 
Finally I added a few gems and some glitter to give it a bit more sparkle! 





The second makeup I have done is a bit more harsh and easier to do. This was done using mostly face paints. After I painted the face white and filled in the eye area black, I drew some half circles around both the eyes and filled them in yellow. This is quite a common design for sugar skulls. I then went on to do the nose and teeth and then started to decorate! I added some purple blended into the black in the eyes to make it look not so harsh. 


                            


Hope you managed to read it until the end!
Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment