Wednesday 2 October 2013

Bruised and Battered

Bruised and Battered

If you're not a fan of blood and scars then look away now!
For this look i wanted to do something with a bruised eye and that kind of 'battered' look and this is what i came up with!
This is a really fun look to do and its really straight forward as well! Before you get into the makeup applying you're gonna want to find an image you can copy you're bruise from. All bruises look different depending on what stage they're in. Once you are happy with the image you have chosen then we're ready to get started!
You may wish to do you're base make up (foundation, concealer ect) before you start but as i was working on my younger sister who has lovely skin! I didn't feel the need to.
I started off with the black eye. This part is very easy. You're going to want a good eyeshadow palette with a range of matte purples, greys and yellows. You can also use grease paints for this which are very good, but at the time i just had eyeshadow to use. I started off with quite a violet shade of purple and popped that all over the lid, around the eye and under the eye and then blended it out. I then went in with some pinky shades of purple around the outside of the purple and blended that too. The key to this eye look is blending!! I built the colours up until they were the right shade I wanted.
 Next for the more yellow/green shades. I used a greenish yellow on the outer rim of the bruise and then, you guessed it, blended it in! I deepened the inside of the eye area, around the nose, with some dark purples and grey shades. I then used a red liner on the lower lash line and smudges it out to create that swollen, irritated look. Once you have built up you're colours and you are happy with it then you're ready to move on.
For the gash on the forehead i used liquid latex. I outlined where i wanted my cut to be with a white eyeliner then started to build up my latex. For those who are not familiar with liquid latex it is a water based latex which you can build up to create various special effect looks. I applied a thin layer of liquid latex to my desired area and then waited for it to dry before applying another layer on top. You usually need quite a lot of coats for this as it is a very thin substance. 
After you have built it up and you feel it is deep enough for you, you want to create that cut. I used tweezers for mine, cutting a thin line down the centre of the cut and thin pulling i apart until it was the width i wanted. 
Now the tricky bit is done you can get down to detail. I also used the bruise effect around my cut by doing the exact same process I did to the eye but in a different area. I then filled my cut in with some red face paints/grease paint/eyeshadows, whatever you desire, until it was a colour I wanted. I applied some black face paint to the outer rim on the inside of the cut to add some more depth. I then added a small amount of fake blood to the area and smudged it in with a cue tip.
Nearly there!! 
For the lip area I applied the same bruising effect but with a little less purple to the area. I then added some red lip liner to the bottom half of one side of the lip and added some fake blood on top of it. I also added some black liner in places that i wanted some more depth in the lips and then blend blend blend!

This may seem like quite a time consuming process but it is really simple and easy to do. Very good if you want to scare some people with a black eye!


Products used:
Base make up if desired 
Matte eyeshadows (purples, greys, yellows, greens, blacks)
Red, white and black pencil liner
Liquid Latex
Tweezers
Fake blood









No comments:

Post a Comment